Sunday, November 13, 2011

taking a break in Goa

Approaching Velsao Beach
The Diwali holiday found me with a week off from school and plenty of time to explore a new area of India. After a couple of failed travel plans I ended up in Goa, along the South West coast, with two friends and their families. The week turned into what you can only call a beach vacation. Plenty of time in the sun, playing in the sand, jumping strong waves in the ocean, and eating seafood in a beach side shack. While I don't really consider myself a beach person I really did enjoy the vacation and Velsao Beach which we made our own while there. And I really do mean that we made it our own. Situated outside of the small town of Cansaulim in southern Goa it was a mostly deserted beach. I believe there were others enjoying the beach on just two other days, and people in the water on only one of those days. The rest of the time it was us, the lifeguards and the guys who cooked and served at the beach restaurant. Definitely my idea of what a beach vacation should be like. Clean, smooth sand, shells lining the tide line, crabs and starfish populating the tidal pools, fun with the waterproof camera in the waves and plenty of beach to walk if the desire hit. After a day exploring the north I was extremely grateful we had landed on this small quiet beach rather than one of the commercial, busy, unsettling ones to be found elsewhere in Goa. I enjoyed being able to run down the narrow village road and feel as if I was entering a different time period, passing rice fields, small houses, a herd of water buffalo and a white church perched up on the hill. To have the time to breathe deep, relax and slow down was such a good way to prepare for the craziness that seems to be encompassing the last month and a half of the semester. What a nice way to spend the week. Now if only I could be sitting watching the sun set over the ocean instead of seeing a red sun in the sky due to pollution.

No comments:

Post a Comment