Sunday, February 19, 2012

Body percussionist

Well I seem to finally be well and am no longer spending all of my free time sleeping. Hopefully that means I'll be back to my somewhat regular updates on life.


Body Percussionist
Keith Terry, body percussionist. That's what all the signs around campus said. A body percussionist? I have to admit that I was intrigued. What kind of artist were they bringing in for our visiting artist series? I have to go check that out. So Friday night found me in our school theater for what turned out to be a very entertaining evening and a much more interactive hour and a half then I expected. It turns out that a body percussionist is exactly what it sounds like. Keith Terry makes music by striking, rubbing, snapping, clicking and tapping different parts of his body. You can see a short clip of him here, or check out a longer youtube video here. It was an interactive evening where I learned how to make more of the sounds then I thought I would be able to (you have to be able to keep a beat though) as he imparted little nuggets of information about different traditions of body music (such as the slave tradition of playing the ham bone - the side and/or back of your thigh). A thouroughly entertaining evening and a great interactive show for the kids; I'd highly recommend checking him out in person, or maybe even wandering over to one of the international body music festivals that he organizes once a year (they've even be reviewed by National Geographic!).

No comments:

Post a Comment