Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Handcrafted Happiness

It's ridiculous sometimes how a special purchase is enough to make you giddy, and turn your day around. Shopping therapy? Perhaps. Or maybe I really am more materialistic then I'd hoped. But that is exactly what happened to me one evening when we were in Jaipur.
My new chairs
Doreen spied an interesting looking stall out of the car window, that she had glimpsed earlier but we hadn't stopped at. She thought maybe they had some sort of table. We were done for the evening, so why not stop and take a look? I should have known better, after all I seem to have a weakness for furniture. We got out of the car to the intense interest of the three kids playing on the concrete stoop. I suspect people don't usually buy directly from here. But that is exactly what made it so interesting. A woman sat off to the left in front of her sewing machine piecing  together these fabulous embroidered covers for wicker chairs. Each one was a unique brightly covered design. I ended up with two chairs (gotta have a pair) that make me smile each time I see them and I'm sure I'll remember the experience of buying directly from the woman each time I sit in one.

No comments:

Post a Comment