Thursday, October 25, 2012

Dussehra 2012

All set up

I reconnected with the fact that I live in India yesterday. What an experience to be at a local celebration of a holiday. Fireworks going off right above your head, some spinning scarily close to your face. Three giant effigies burning down to the ground. Multiple actors dressed up with masks and costumes. A band playing as they parade in. A collection of speeches, most of which I didn't understand. A recounting, in yells, of the story of good defeating evil. It made me happy I had done some research last year, otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue what was going on. A man shot an arrow into the foot of the effigy to set it alight (never mind that there was no fire on the arrow, ignore the man standing on the other side). More fireworks explode and there is a whoosh of fire. Less than 30 seconds later the 20 foot tall effigy is only a small bonfire on the ground. But it was impressive to watch burn. To see the fire climb up and engulf the face until there is nothing left to support the structure. Yes, I experienced a piece of India last night and it reminded me of why I like living overseas with all the inexplicable, uncomfortable and sometimes incomprehensible experiences it brings. Happy Dussehra. Celebrate good triumphing over evil.

In flames

No comments:

Post a Comment