Sunday, January 27, 2013

Colorful Pushkar

View down to the holy lake

Along with the camel fair, Pushkar also brings in a load of pilgrims on a religious journey the same week for Kartik Purnima. The city is home to one of the few temples dedicated to Lord Brahma (I think only four other temples in India are dedicated to Brahma) and the main attraction of the city any other time of the year is that temple and the 52 ghats that encircle a holy lake believed to have been born from the tears of Lord Shiva.

Yellow


So, while the camels were definitely the draw for me to go to Pushkar, I found the streets to be a whirling, chaotic collection of color. Families were visiting for the chance to combine a shopping trip with a religious pilgrimage with a livestock exchange. I was happy to sit on a street corner and snap picture after picture, trying to capture the many faces of Pushkar. There were the women with their brightly colored saris, so bright sometimes they almost hurt the eye. The vendors settling down onto the roadside, spreading their wares out on blankets to sell. Did you see that man go by? His forehead is all painted! And that one just set down a big pot on a stand, I wonder what he is selling? Ahh...she has quite the large nose ring! That girl is posing (at least it sure looks that way!). While the others are clearly busy shopping. Hmmm...the food is almost as bright as the clothes, sometimes I wish I felt a bit more adventurous in terms of trying the street food. There is so much color I hardly know what to focus on.

No comments:

Post a Comment