Sunday, December 1, 2013

Thanksgiving in Dharamashala

Dharamashala

Happy Thanksgiving! The holiday brought us another long weekend, and thus another chance to travel (which seems a bit ridiculous seeing as how I haven't even told y'all anything about the last trip I took in India!). I've been slowly going through my list of places I want to see and this break gave me a chance to visit Dharamashala. Nestled on the side of a mountain it has become a refuge for Tibetans who have fled the Chinese occupation of their land, and serves as their primary religious headquarters housing the home temple of the Dalai Lama. As such you can imagine that it is a pretty low key, relaxing place. For three days I walked without being hassled, enjoyed the views, took in the clean air and took the opportunity to recharge before going into the end of the semester. One day we took a stroll out to see the waterfall in Bhagsu, a neighboring village. Another we took the opportunity to attend a momo (Tibetan dumplings) cooking class. The hour and a half with the lad who runs Lhamo's Kitchen was well enjoyed. We didn't have to do any of the prep work (no chopping!), but just learned how to put all of the ingredients together and how to form a momo (sort of). The best part of course was getting to eat all of the momos we had assembled just as soon as they had finished steaming. All in all a quiet restful weekend which was exactly what I needed.

Lines of prayer flags

No comments:

Post a Comment