Sunday, August 24, 2014

Summer escape

Swiftcurrent Nature Trail

Summer is so often an escape for me. One in which I try to get as surrounded by nature as possible, as a way to recover from 10 months in one of the biggest cities in the world. Over the past several years I've been doing that by heading into the US's National Parks. This summer was no different. The main destination this year was Glacier National Park in Montana, where there was no shortage of trails to allow me brief forays away from just about anything that reminded me of civilization (well if you could ignore the bear bells ringing from other hiker's packs). As always it was the little moments that really made the week special, and allowed my spirit to recover. Finding a perfect reflection of the mountains in the lake. Noticing that the sun hit my favorite flower, the bear paw, in just the right manner in that field. Reaching Apikuni falls to find no one else there, making the .8 miles up hill well worth the hard breathing. The marmot that just made me smile. That plant, whose inner growth spoke to the part of me that loves symmetrical, mathematical beauty. The different shades of blue that together form one peaceful landscape. Reaching the third waterfall in one day, and finding I only had to share it with 6 other people. Splurging on high tea at the Prince of Wales hotel across the Canadian border in Waterton Lakes National Park. Just the overall peacefulness of mountains, greenery and water helped me to feel renewed.  

Going to the Sun Road

No comments:

Post a Comment