Saturday, April 18, 2015

A daily activity in Thimphu

National Memorial Chorten

Mom and I headed to Bhutan for spring break, and since I just got done sorting through the 1,000+ photos I took in a week, I'm not quite up to writing fully about it. So I thought that you might enjoy a look at what is a daily activity for many people in Thimphu: walking around the National Memorial Chorten (at least three times). I'm not going to say the video is good, it's a bit rough as I was walking and trying to be unobtrusive, but I think it will give you a sense of why mom and I found this a relaxing yet intriguing location to get out and move. So much so that we visited every day we were in the capital.

If the video doesn't load you can see it here.

The National Memorial Chorten was built in 1974 to honor the third king and is the location where many locals will stop on their way to or from work and school in order to take a few rounds of walking and prayers. Some of the older men and women spend the majority of the day there, socializing between their prayers. Little kids jump and run, never straying far from their parents. The giant prayer wheels are constantly being spun, either by people walking around them or by someone who had decided to sit close by and ensure it continues to send prayers into the universe. For such a bustling and active location it is surprisingly peaceful. I can see why it is a daily practice to walk there for many people.

Walk and pray

No comments:

Post a Comment