Sunday, November 29, 2015

Jaisalmer Fort

Jaisalmer Palace

I have to admit that when I agreed to go to Jaisalmer for Diwali I had no idea what I was going to see there. I had heard from several people that it was well worth the time to visit. I knew there was a fort but that was about it. In my mind I was picturing another empty fort that had been restored and I could explore, wandering into each corner as I desired. I was not at all prepared for the vibrant, busy, packed living fort that Jaisalmer was. A fort that is not a cleaned up preserved historical site, but a glimpse at what it might have been like originally - intricate details on buildings, shops on the ground floor, apartments above. A main square where people still gather and talk. Animals that roam the streets, causing people to scurry out of the way. Canons overlooking the walls, aimed at whatever comes out of the desert. Jaisalmer has a living, breathing fort.
Watch out for the cows

No comments:

Post a Comment