Sunday, September 3, 2017

Inflatable Waterpark

Mulitperson rocking ball...took them as long to get on as it did to fall off
We've had three long weekends in a row which has given me plenty to think about writing about, but not a lot of time to do the actual writing. The good news is that I have enough to keep me going for a while! Two weekends ago I headed up to Subic Bay with a group of 9 friends to take part in the Amazing Jeepney Race (more on that later, still waiting on the official video to give you a better idea of the day). The race was only one day, so that left us some time to have fun around Subic. Now what to do?
Katie and I before heading out
It turns out that there is an inflatable water park, Inflatable Island, yes it is exactly what it sound like...think of the giant bouncy castles and slides that you see at a kid's party. Except it is floating on the ocean.If you think you might have trouble balancing on a regular bouncy castle imagine how much much more difficult it would be on a wet slippery surface. I'll be honest I spent more time falling off the platforms than I did getting around from island to island. Of course, that is probably why I managed to get so many fun pictures of other people slipping, sliding, jumping and crashing.

Katie flying off
Perhaps the craziest  thing you could do was to go lay down on the end of a giant pillow, and then have someone else jump off a platform a floor up and launch you in the air. When our group decided that they wanted to try, the workers at the park decided to send two of their guys up to jump down together to make sure the ladies got air. By the time I watched the third person get launched and end up heels over heads (literally!) I knew this was not going to be something that I tried. I wasn't looking forward to the crash landing.

Ari getting flung off a giant pillow
So what is more my style? A few obstacles perhaps? Oh, a large rocking chair thing, perhaps that is more my speed....well, as long as I can actually get up on it? I feel like I spent a lot of my time trying to pull myself up, at least my arms have gotten stronger while I've been in the Philippines, so I actually had a chance. Although after an hour and a half in and out of the water I was definitely getting tired.

Rocking water toy
But, wait, it is a giant narwhal...I've got to at least give a shot at getting myself up to ride it. (If you don't know when I was teaching in Paraguay my students used to draw random narwhals all over their tests, starting a bit of a fascination with this long toothed fish - really, you should do some reading about them if you've don't know much, they're fascinating). It was a probably a good thing that our two hour time slot was all but up. It was fun playing around like a little kid, but two hours was plenty of time for me to feel it in my legs. The addition of the storm rolling in brought our wet and wild experience to an end.

Happy to have found a narwhal!

No comments:

Post a Comment