Sunday, February 4, 2018

January’s Museum: Museum of Contemporary Art and Design



Last month we headed out for what I hoped would be a double header on museums. I had seen that there was a sculpture garden in the general area that we were heading to, one that had a sculpture for each of the APEC countries. Figured that since it was cool enough to be outside and we were in the area that we should stop there first. Only it turns out the APEC sculptures aren’t actually in the APEC garden like logic might lead you to believe. Oh we saw two sculptures but none that I was expecting...guess I’ll have to give it another shot once I do a bit more research.



So then on to our actual museum. Which, thankfully, was exactly where I expected it to be, a 20 minute walk down the road. The Museum of Contemporary Art and Design is on the campus of the College of Saint Benilde's School of Art and Design and seems to be a fairly recent addition to the museum spaces in Manila. The museum has a lovely industrial warehouse feel to the open space. For the size of the space there was not much on display. Four exhibits took up a fraction of the space. One on the empty space of buildings, one an cardboard recreation of a beach scene (I found the artist’s annotated photos much more interesting, an interesting back lit display on spaces (my favorite I think) and a video installation set in Chandigarh (a city in India I’ve traveled through but never visited).



All in allI feel like the trip this month gave us a destination but not much more. I can’t really recommend the museum unless the exhibit is one you are particularly interested in. However if you’re in the area it might be worth a stop since it was free.

Requisite museum selfie,
probably our worst one yet!



Tues - Sat 10-6, Sun 10-2
Free admission 

No comments:

Post a Comment