Friday, June 15, 2012

Turkish snapshot: Exploring Kapadokya

Beautiful morning
It is nice to know that even after five (or is it six?) visits to a special location there are still new places to discover. The second half of my trip to Turkey I spent visiting my good friend Ileyn in Kapadokya. Staying with friends always reveals new things for me and this trip was no exception. My favourite day, without doubt, was the day we went out to wander among the magical fairy chimneys in Zelve at the open air museum. This open air museum was an actual village until 1952 when its inhabitants were forced to evacuate due to erosion making their cave houses unstable and unsafe. What is left are three small self enclosed valleys full of houses carved into the rock face, a couple of churches, one mosque, paths winding through the greenery and the yellow and purple wildflowers, a rock winery, painted pigeon houses, numerous fairy chimneys and significantly fewer people then you will find at the similar open air museum in Goreme. I was happy to wander around for several hours with her two kids, exploring everything possible and constantly seeing faces in the rocks around me. By the end of the trip I had everyone else noticing them as well! Yes, Zelve is magical in more than one way.
Face through a hole

No comments:

Post a Comment