Thursday, June 14, 2012

Turkish snapshot: Return to Istanbul

Interior
Punching a straw through the tin foil covering of a container of ayran. A landscape decorated by minarets. Little boys dressed up in their circumcision finery. Enjoying the ferry across and down the Bosphorus. The magical underworld of the Basilica Cistern. The brilliant blue water in the Bosphorus. Food I had forgotten whose first bite brings a flood of memories. Surprising friends during a visit to school. Yes, I am back in Istanbul! It is interesting to be back in a landscape that is a part of my past. To return to a city I was not sure I would ever revisit. To discover new additions such as the aquarium. Of course not everything is better. There have been a few disappointments, the market in Ortakoy is not nearly as enthralling as I remember with significantly fewer jewellery designers in attendance. Tourists seem to have discovered the Asian side of the city. Overall though, it is a bit like a long dream. A happy return to a location that will always hold a special place in my heart.
Galata Tower

No comments:

Post a Comment