Sunday, May 26, 2013

Roadside jobs...grooming

One of the things that I enjoy about India is realizing just how little it takes to be an entrepreneur. Really, these people could teach anyone interested in owning their own business a bit about how little you actually need to start up your own shop. For some all it takes is a bit of sidewalk space, a tall chair, a mirror to wire onto fence and a straight edge razor. Voila, you're ready to set up your own barber shop. You'd be surprised at how many of these little "shops" I pass on my drive to school. And yet there always seems to be a man settling in for a shave and/or a cut. 

Roadside barber in Delhi
Or perhaps you don't want to be that tied down? You'd rather be able to take your job on the go? Perhaps you should take a page from this man's book and becoming a roaming ear cleaner. Everything you need will fit into a lunch box sized carrier, well, with some cotton stuffed behind your ears. There is a lighter, q-tips, cleaner and scissors (some people have looooong ear hair) inside. No chair provided, but the side of the road often has rocks when people can sit down. What other types of grooming jobs do you think could be developed for the roadside? 

Ear cleaner in Rishikesh, photo from Shannon V.


1 comment:

  1. This is an amazing service. But I don't think so. My audiologist does this for me and she is very gentle. But I still love the photo. I hope no one mins if I copy it for friends. Mary Wyand Rankin in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete