Saturday, June 1, 2013

Road side advice


One of my favorite things about driving, well okay riding in a car, is to read the roadside signs and see what they share. As we drove out to visit some monasteries outside of Leh I had ample opportunity to take in some of these sage sayings.  There are three categories that these signs can fall into. There are the often amusing reminders to drive safe on the mountainous roads. Which proclaim things like the following:

All will wait, better be late
Caress the urges do not test them
Darling I like you, but not so fast
If you sleep your family will weep
Be Mr. Late then late Mr.
It's a highway not a runway
Bro anytime is safety time
I am curvaceous be careful
Overspeed is a knife that cuts a life
Your hurry is may be a cause to worry your family
And my favorite: Hurry burry spoils the curry

Then there are signs that actually tell me something I didn't know. We passed one today that proclaimed We did it! Guinness World Record. Most trees planted simultaneously. Chang-ga Village. Others just make me wonder what the are referring to, and make want to do some research. Like the one that said The Mountain Tamers. How do you tame a mountain?

The last genre are the signs that actually make you stop and think. That offer some surprising insight into life:

Hard work is the best investment a man can make
Self trust is the essence of heroism
Serve ever, hurt never
Only the best of our friends and the worst of our enemies would like to visit us

No comments:

Post a Comment