Sunday, March 23, 2014

National rose garden

Between my mom's visit, minicourse with the high school students and Spring Break with my best friend, I have plenty to write about the upcoming weeks...I thought I'd share a mini excursion that mom and I fit in between my school schedule while she was here.


About a 10 minute walk from the school gate, on the route I drive to school every day, is a fenced in half block that is shockingly empty of buildings. With green grass covering the field and rose plants blooming in a pattern I had wanted to get to this garden but just never worked my way to it. When mom met me at school with two hours of downtime I decided it would be the perfect mini outing to fill the time. I was a bit surprised to find that the garden I wanted to visit was actually the National Rose Garden. Maintained by the Rose Society of India the sign at the entrance shared three aims: to disseminate knowledge of rose and rose growing; to encourage, improve, extend the cultivation of the rose by means of scientific trials; to hold exhibitions and other activities.


I'm not sure how much it reaches those goals, but it was a very pleasant green space to wander around and mom and I had a relaxing time literally stopping to smell the roses. My personal favorites were the orange tinged ones, although the mix of pink, red and yellow added to the garden's colorful appeal. Makes me wonder how many other small delights Delhi has to offer that I've never noticed before.


No comments:

Post a Comment