Saturday, June 9, 2018

Art Fair Philippines


Every year there is a week long art fair in Manila. Last year I didn't make it over to Makati to check it out so I made it a priority this year. The art fair takes over a parking garage, I know, it doesn't seem like an obvious location for an art fair, but somehow they make it work. Installing temporary walls, some booths came complete with glass doors, even bringing in air conditioners. There are four levels of exhibits the majority of which are of local artists. How refreshing to see the variety of works that are being produced in this country.

 

Some of the artwork was whimsical. I was particularly drawn to monster creatures that had scary teeth but yet you couldn't help but smile at. There was an installation piece that filled a booth area with toy cars. "The art fair is full of objects, more or less interesting; I wish to add 24,124 more" said the artist Nilo Ilarde.

 

On the other hand I enjoyed a glass exhibit which claimed it wanted to bring some peace to the fair experience. A quiet moment that I appreciated. I also liked seeing some of the work of Arturo Luz, who was the National Artist in 1997. In fact, I've run across the works of several National Artists in the museums I've visited and like most of them. There is plenty of talent in this country!






No comments:

Post a Comment